I was in Doc Brown's class the other day and we were talking about the usual sort of things that you talk about in a graduate class, geographical statistics, Arnold Schwartzenegger, how the picture of the F-statistic curve looks like the "whale" that ate Jonah. And as you can see I should be completely enraptured by the aforementioned topics, but alas I was instead intrigued by the back of my colored pencil box and I noticed something. I have had these colored pencils for about 3 or 4 years dating back to my days of drawing weather maps, red for temperature, green for dewpoint, etc. For some bizarre reason Crayola felt the need to include on the back of the box the name of each colored pencil next to a sample of each color. Not only that, the sample color next to the label "black" is very obviously not black. It's a dark green color. I have had this confirmed by no less that three other people who were all as flummoxed as I. It also just so happens that as I was sitting here, I noticed that we own another box of crayola colored pencils which I can only assume once were employed by Tom as the box has about 3 feet of scotch tape wrapped around it for some unknown reason. His box has the correct color displayed and according to the copyright date his box is three years older than mine. (Side note: Also during the span of three years they must have had a block in their creative department as the exact same "Fun Drawing Idea" of a swimming dragon is displayed on both.) So apparently somewhere between 1997 and 2000 the colored pencil division at Crayola began mistaking dark green for black. Maybe it's because in 1997 they were made in Italy and in 2000 they were made in Brazil. I think this suspicion holds greater truth that I think. My box also says that it contains no tropical rain forest wood. Now maybe my geography is a little off but I don't think Italy has tropical rain forest wood but isn't Brazil all tropical rain forest wood???

1 comments:

too funny. and I know the answers to the first two trivia questions...where do you come up with these? Love ya!

About

Fangirl, Musician, Mom, Former Stuffed Armadillo Owner, Cat Person, Geographer, Bookworm, Christian, Bad Picture Taker, Nursery Worker, Trivia Buff, Laundry Folder, Stormchaser, Wife, Mary Kay Lady, Movie Freak, Facebook Addict, Coffee Hater, Procrastinator, Random List Maker. Enjoy the whatever.

Blog Archive